Father and Son

Father and Son
lookin kinda sleepy

Monday, February 8, 2010

Jiggety-Jig

We're home.

Last night, after the 6PM feeding (which actually starts at 5:15), we kissed our boy's soft head, piled our souvenirs from this strange vacation into the car, and headed for home in a similar condition to how we arrived.

With my daughter, I arrived at the hospital on a night of witchy weather, in full-blown labor, had a baby just three hours later, and left after a couple of days with my little girl in the back seat. This time, I went to the hospital without even a twinge of pain and everything happened--blizzards, contractions, surgery, birth--while we were cocooned there. Days later, in just enough of a soft druggy haze to give a Vaseline-smear effect to everything, I came home to a warm dinner in a clean house, dry roads, and with an empty car seat in back. I might as well have been out running errands.

Every kid who has come home from college, a summer abroad, or even a lost weekend knows the feeling of no longer quite fitting into the space they left behind. It couldn't be much easier for me here: my daughter and pets are overjoyed to see me, my stepmother is keeping everything running brilliantly, friends are helpful and supportive, but it's all strange.

I don't miss the hospital, certainly, but the hospital existed to house Griffin. I saw his face as I walked to the bathroom and could smell him on my clothes. This house doesn't know him and has no memory of him. Even his room hasn't had to make space for him yet, doesn't have to acknowledge that he exists. There was no chance of forgetting Kendall while we were at the hospital, but what if we forget Griffin while we're home?

Four times a day, we will climb into the car and head back there. We've gone once already and I was relieved that I didn't just dream the last few days. He's there; the nurses recognized us--clearly this happened. We held him, fed him, smelled his head, and tickled his philtrum to make him squint his eyes, purse his lips, and turn away. And then we left again, back out in the bright, cold day.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome back to E. Como. It'll be wonderful to welcome your WHOLE family back soon! You've each been through so much. I'm praying for each of you...more specifically now! Love you so much, cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danny your friend and neighbor just getting all the news. I finished reading the whole blog. MY heart goes out to you! Cheryl is at work now but I will make sure she gets totally informed. Of course, you are in our prayers. Cheryl would love to spend some time with Kendall and I am available too. Much love, Danny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do remember that feeling with Natalie's stay in the NICU. It felt very anticlimactic to come home without her, and there was a little feeling of guilty indulgence that I'd had a baby and was so well-rested.

    I'm thinking about you guys all the time. I hope the forward progress is steady and swift.

    Hugs
    Sus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hearts have made room. That's all that really matters for now. Still thinking of you all.
    d-

    ReplyDelete
  5. i second brian's comment. beautifully written. i'm all choked up.

    i'm just thinking of how happy you'll be when the whole family is home and snuggled up together.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are being moderated. This is a fairly personal topic, so I want to discourage spambots and trolls as much as possible.