He did great. He nursed like a pro on one side and nursed like a sleepy pro on the other side, then took only a few mL from his bottle. It was fun to watch his heart rate zoom up when he started nursing, then drop as he became fuller and sleepier. I need to get more confident in his ability to feed himself, because I was nervous about ending the feeding, in case he hadn't had enough and his glucose dropped and he got put back on the IV.
The nurse--one we hadn't met before--was pleased, and seemed optimistic about what we'd find in the morning. She left us, however, by saying that usually babies need another week in NICU after their lines are removed.
A week. We'd been thinking a few days. A week.
Back again this morning for the 9AM. Overnight, his glucose levels were steady and high enough. His doctor was very pleased, pleased enough to graduate him from an isolette to an open crib. The goal, she said, from here on, is to treat him just like a normal baby. His job is to communicate when he's hungry, eat well, and regulate his body temperature. If he does that, he can come home.
I asked about what last night's nurse said. A week?, she said, anything is possible, but assuming he does what he should, he could go home tomorrow, or possibly Friday. So even if he needs a bit longer, you're likely looking at having a baby home by the weekend.
Happy Valentine's Day, says Mark.
He nursed well again on both sides, took 15 mL from his bottle, then the nurse wheeled in his crib and took his bedding out of the isolette. We lay him in and kissed his head, something we hadn't been able to do since he started living in a breadbox. He promptly urped due to an unburped burp. We changed his clothes, his diaper, and the bandage on his heel (which he'd stuck into his full diaper)--just like a normal baby.
I am crying tears of joy over here! I hope he gets to go home soon!
ReplyDeleteI do love the not knowing part. We went in for a standard visit/feeding and were told we could take him home that day. Then it ended up taking about two hours to get discharged.
ReplyDeleteSounds encouraging - much better than a few days ago. I hope the good news continues unabated.
ReplyDeleteYay! Go Griffin. :)
ReplyDeleteI like this one. Happy Valentine's Day, indeed. Start describing the car ride home to him, so he knows what to expect. And tell him his doula can't wait to have a real chat. And that I am sorry if my tears the other day embarrassed him in front of the other kids, it is just that he is so stunning, I couldn't help it.
ReplyDeletexoxoxoxoxoxox
YAY!!!
ReplyDeleteAWWWW! Guys this is fantastic news! Poop on the foot...just like a normal toddler too :) Get ready...again!
ReplyDeleteOh, hooray! hooray! hoorah!
ReplyDelete