Father and Son

Father and Son
lookin kinda sleepy

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Mistakes were Made

This morning confirmed our discoveries last night. We were informed by the pediatrician on staff that there was nothing in Griffin's chart that allowed for breastfeeding. She explicitly told us that this was counter to their need for accurate measurement of fluid intake, and that she had "no idea" how that could have been misinterpreted.

So much for the bad news, now on to the good news. Griffin is eating well (23 ml this AM), his glucose levels are back to a good level, and he is perking up during lunch. All this implies progress, and the prognosis has not changed: complete recovery expected. The date of his release did shift to possibly Thursday next, and that's somewhat annoying, but we are still very lucky to have the best care for our little bean.

7 comments:

  1. Susan and Mark....
    OMG, I am in tears and disbelief! I heard thru the ODS grapevine of Griffin's birth and was just getting ready to throw out the general "congrats" on Susan's FB page, but then read thru the blog archive.
    I'm so very relieved to hear of Griffin's progress, but can't even begin to imagine what this has been like for you guys. My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to you.
    It's situations like this that put things into perspective. I've had some shitty stuff served up my way within the past 6 months, but it scales into comparison to the angst you guys have gone through.
    I look forward to following Griffin's progress and hearing all about his homecoming!!!

    With Heartfelt Prayers,
    Lisa Marks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, sir. Please let me know if there's anything i can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can they not measure pumped breastmilk?

    I don't want to make assumptions about how important breastfeeding is to you, but I do know some lactation consultants and le leche league leaders who can help you lay the smack down if you feel strongly about feeding him. Some of them even enjoy a challenge. Let me know if you want names.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that is so awful. I'd second the idea of a lactation consultant. Extra advocates couldn't hurt, and tt might be a help to S if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bryan and I send you lots of love and support! We are SO SORRY for all that you are navigating with your beautiful wee one. Please know that I am only a phone call away and can be there in ten hours. I can babysit Kendall, help with furry ones, grocery shop, cook, clean, etc....WHATEVER you need. Please do not hesitate to ask for my/our help!
    WE LOVE YOU!
    Erinne (& Bryan)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! So they can't measure out pumped breast milk? That's very confusing. We are thinking of you guys! Chins up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re: Breast Milk

    Griffin is subsisting on a glucose drip and breast milk that has been pumped. The earlier SNAFU was due to a nurse thinking it was OK to breastfeed directly. It was not.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are being moderated. This is a fairly personal topic, so I want to discourage spambots and trolls as much as possible.